As A Rule
There are, according to various sources, over 500 rules of acquisition that define the Ferengi way of transacting business. What we know stems mainly from our favourite shyster, Quark from Deep Space 9, a Ferengi whose unscrupulous profits flow non-stop, in the best and worst of times.
We’ve chosen twenty rules that deliver the central philosophy –
‘do whatever is necessary to turn a profit’.
Top 20 Ferengi Rules of Acquisition
1. Once you have their money … never give it back.
2. Small print leads to large risk.
3. Greed is eternal.
4. Anything worth doing is worth doing for money.
5. A deal is a deal … until a better one comes along.
6. There’s nothing more dangerous than an honest businessman.
7. It never hurts to suck up to the boss.
8. Profit is its own reward.
9. Expand, or die.
10. The enemy of wealth is conscience.
11. Keep your lies consistent.
12. Enough … is never enough.
13. Bribes are precious – treasure them.
14. There is no honour in poverty.
15. Treat your debtors like family … exploit them.
16. Everything is for sale, even friendship.
17. Only fools pay retail.
18. You can’t buy fate.
19. Never be afraid to mislabel a product.
20. When in doubt, lie.